Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm no good at coming up with titles..

So, I can't remember everything I've done in the past couple weeks. But I can't believe it's dawning on two months being here! Time has gone so fast.
My Japanese is coming along. I'm studying kanjii everyday and I can actually hold up conversations now.
I got my hair permed straight - perhaps to fit in with the Japanese. Or perhaps because now my hair is perfectly straight even in the rain. Which today, it is raning. And we have exams at school for two hours in the morning. of course I don't have to write them but, I'm stuck in the lab chilling on facebook and updating by blog. There's nothing else I can do really.
The last two weeks have been fun though. I'm taking cooking class every Saturday with my highschool. It's fun. We've made a lot of fish and legitimate Japanese food. School is really fun. I don't ever actually do work, but I study Japanese. Speaking of Japanese, I started lessons. They put me in level one but it is WAY too easy. I took a test for level 2 but it was too hard. So I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that. Considering I'm able to talk to people in real life, I'm sure I can catch on to level 2. So I might move up a level, but I will let you know.
Last weekend was the Kinshou school festival. My school festival was small and fun, but this one was designed to be a department store! It was so big and so much to buy - lots of Japanese food. After, I went to dinner at the Takematsu's house. Their son Yuki came to Canada two years ago, and their other son is going to USA or Canada next year.
In Japan, girls wear their school uniforms all the time - to look cute.
Because you can't wear makeup or hair extensions at school, they pile on the fake-ness on the weekends. In Japan, its legit to look like you have two black eyes of sparkly eyeshadow and eyeliner.
The culture here is so different. Customer service is outstanding. I mean the way they treated me when I was getting my hair done was incredible! Even when you're just at the grocery store, they're so helpful and polite. North America should definitley take a lesson from that.
Also, highschool students aren't allowed to have jobs here. You're also not allowed to drive a car or motorbike until you're out of highschool - or you will get expelled from school. It legit happened to a kid in my class. Thats why there are so many bucycles in Japan. Plus, its just way easier to get around on a bike. I have a bus pass, so I take the bus. But Busses are so expensive! I'm not complaining, because they're clean and always on time and really good - and you can get anywhere on the bus. But, they are always packed to the brim. Good luck ever getting a seat if yo udon't get on at the first stop.

Anyway,
I don't really have much more to say.
Questions? Concerns? Anything?
Lemme know :)

1 comment:

Olive said...

i love your blogs ashleigh, honestly!! :)
hope everythings going good overthere
and watch some kabuki plays or whatever hahah
<3 <3