Thursday, November 19, 2009

3kagetsutachimashita!

So yesterday I went to my school's BATON TWIRLING Club's recital, and it was honestly amazing. Broadway quality showmans ship! I mean they were such amazing dancers and then on top of it, trirling and throwing batons. Then they just kept bringing out more things, like hoola hoops and ribbons. They did about 10 costume changes and at the end was a colaborative dance with music from movies - starwars, pretty woman, a jackie chan movie, harry potter, titanic. I mean the way they put it together was amazing!
The school clubs here in Japan are so different than in Canada. Students here don't get homework, so clubs are everyday, and they're really intense. I think my schools baton twirling club is one of the best in the prefecture! Amazing!
At the end, everyone shouted "encore", and of course they did an encore, which with another costume change, was amazing. But the funny thing is, in Japanese, "encore" is "on-ko-re! on-ko-re!" ;)

It's getting really cold here. Houses don't have central heating, they just heat the rooms they're using. My room in my host families house gets SO cold at night! I turn on the heater so its 21* when I go to bed and I wake up and the thermometer says it's 9*. Cold. Plus I have to walk to school for 40 minutes and it has been raning everyday here, so it's freezing. Kids at my school don't wear coats, they just wear clothes under their uniforms. I weighed the shirts I was weighing yesterday, they totalled to 10lbs. My salor uniform shirt, my sweater and my long sleeved sweater underneath. Heavy, and I'm still cold! School also doesn't really have heating, so kids bring blankets to school and wear them over their legs. It's pretty unfortunate that Japanese school uniforms are so sex-ist and girls have to wear skirts all year round.

Time seems to be flying by so quickly. It's almost been 3 months! I change host families on MONDAY! I can't believe how fast time has gone by. I've been at school here for 3 months too, it does not seem like it's been that long! They're starting to put up holiday lights in the streets here and I can't believe it's almost Christmas either! Time is flying by, but I'm really enjoying it here :) In theory wish time wouldn't seem to go by so fast (but I wish it would go even faster when I'm sitting in Japanese math class. hah)

Well, It's time for lunch now. and yes, it's 1:00. They eat really late here, probably because of all the clubs that go on after school, this is the middle of the day for those students whi go home at 6 or so. It's such a difference from BT and having second lunch, 9:37am ;) Let me tell you, Japanese school is COMPLETELY different than Canadian school. I think kids here would die if they tried to do the work we did in highschool. Here, no homework. Tests once a month. And the work they're doing here as grade 11 is work we did in grade 9. Maybe it's just my school, it being a school for the 'less smart kids' but it's completely different. But needless to say I'm having a blast here and I absolutely love it! I was invited back for my grade's graduation in 2011! How sweet :) Apparently Japanese graduation, they have to wear their school uniform - and it's not that big of a deal at all. ぜんぜんちがうね!

Thanks for reading! I will upsate again once I've moved host families and have new adventures to tell :)

2 comments:

gercunderscore4 said...

Yeah, I think Japanese schools WANT to be western private school, but don't quite understand it. And the work is easier, even though you are at one of the lowest rated schools of the area. I remember Nick got a 34/100 (pass) on a test his Japanese friend failed (9/100), and that was before he could read properly.

ashleighanne said...

Yeah, and they think that they do so a lot of work and that it's hard. And they don't even care when they score 20/100 on a test.