Tuesday, December 1, 2009

it's december already?

As I'm sitting here in my school's computer lab, bored stiff while everyone else writes tests.. I reread all of my blogs I wrote in Japan. And it's amazing how much I can see I've changed! My style, my taste and my opinions! Food I wrote about not liking, I now love. Like dango - its a japanese sweet. Japanese sweets aren't very sweet my the way, most are bland and flavoured with matcha or sweet bean. But don't be fooled, sweet beans are just sort of sweet. But yeah! and the things I didn't understand or I didn't know what they were, I know now and use them daily and can't even remember life without them! Such as the vending machines here. Before you come to Japan it's like a legend, "the amazing japanese vending machines" and for the first while I was here I thought so too, but now they've just become so common and just a part of my life!

So it's December, unbelieveable! I've moved host families.. I was really sad to leave my first host family, but I didn't feel sad until the moment my new host family came to pick me up from my old house and I had to rush off. So, obviously, my old host mom chocked up, I cried, I left, it still makes me sad to think about it! I had a great host family for my first three months :) My new hostfamily lives in an apartment, which is new for me. It's really small. I have a host mom, dad and two sisters. One sister came to Canada last year! So it's nice to already know her. The parking garage at my apartment is really cool, you park your car, and then the platform you parked it on lowers down into the ground so the next person parks on top of your car! It's pretty cool! They do this because Japan is so small and there really isn't alot of space, so they build up and down.

Christmas here isn't the same as in Canada. All my fmaily will do is eat a cake. No decorations, no music, no big dinners or parties.. I find that kind of sad and I know I will become more homesick this month - but I think I will skype home for their Christmas morning. Because by that time, Christmas will be over here.
Yeah, kind of sad. But I guess I can deal with it. It's just so different living ina culture where they don't celebrate any of the same holidays you grew up with as a kid and are a big part of your culture!

I have to get writing a speech in Japanese for my Rotary meeting.. so I should get on that.
Questions? Concerns? Holiday Wishes? Give me a comment :)

4 comments:

Sophie said...

Hi, I just read through your whole blog, and I must say that I'm very jealous! I'm going on exchange to USA next year, but I still wish that I'd be able to go to Japan too. Unfortunately I can only choose one country ^^;

But anyways, really interesting reading. I'm glad that your Japanese is getting better (: Did you know ANY Japanese at all, before you arrived? If not, how did you learn Japanese before you started to take lessons? My non-existent knowledge of the language is what made me choose USA instead of Japan :3

頑張って (good luck)

ashleighanne said...

hey!

I didn't know any Japanese before I came.
Before I started lessons I just learned from experience and conversation. You can pick up a language pretty fast through immersion!

You're from Denmark? Your english is very good!
I chose Japan for the culture and for the fact I've never learned the language at all before - completely new experience :)

頑張ります

gercunderscore4 said...

Are you at the 松崎(matsuzaki)'s place?

ashleighanne said...

yeah, i am.