Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kenrokuen Gardens



Yesterday, my host sister Mayuka took me to see Kenrokuen Gardens, which is one of the three most beautiful gardens in Japan. And it is conveniently located in my city! And my oh MY it was gorgeous! We walked around for a few hours, and I was just in awe and taking pictures of everything. It is said you have to see Kenrokuen in every season. Spring for the 'sakura' or, cherry blossoms. Winter for the snow. Autumn for the coloured leaves. I am excited to go back, it was abcolutely breathtaking! I have more pictures on my facebook, (a LOT more.. like 50), so go check those out. It was absolutely beautiful there!


Kenrokuen Gardens is very close to Kanzawa Castle, so we went to visit that too! It was incredible as well, nothing like the Castles in North America or Europe!

We got there and there was a festival going on called 'Japan Tent' where there are tents with different food from different countries. I find it funny that there was no Canada because.. well.. Canadian food can not be described ;)

After our visit to the Castle we walked back to the bus station but stopped in a little dessert store on the way. I don't know what it was called, but I got some .. white balls on a stick covered with Matcha.. Apparently it's very good, but I just must not have the taste buds of a Japanese person yet.. I couldn't eat it all..


The bus station I have to go to everyday to get to school and whatnot is right in the downtown of Kanazawa, right in front of the big department store. So Mayuka and I went in yesterday, man it was big! I guess I don't live in a small city, because what small city has a Louis Vuitton all the way to Gucci store in it's downtown? Kanazawa reminds me of Toronto, totally. I forgot some stuff at home, like makeup, so we went to a store called 'Plaza' in the department store, and I was looking at makeup. Holy Crap are things expensive here! I mean, ¥1,200 is A LOT for one tube of mascara, and not even a good brand either! I ended up spending ¥2,100 on an eyelash curler and mascara.. that's $24.00 Canadian, for two things that should have been worth only $10. Maybe it was just my choice of store..

I am still very jetlagged. I fell asleep last night at 6 and got up this morning at 7:30! haha
Today my host mom and Mayuka are taking me to Fukui prefecture to go see the Sea of Japan! I am excited and will update you whenever possibleeee.

Leave me comments also, because then I know if people actually care ;)

アシリアンエ

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wooooo a comment ahahah :)!
looooove kara

Unknown said...

That garden seems stunning. It must be beautiful in spring.

Ah, the Sea of Japan! That sounds great~
Will you be going to Tōjinbō in Sakai? I hear it's a gorgeous set of cliffs.

Update soon (:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous day...look forward to your pics of the Sea......

Sharnelle said...

hey
find a 100 yen shop! things there ae fairly decient and its cheap! yeah there is sum stuff that you cant get there and if not there try the supermarkets... jusco coz they are genrally cheaper than the littler shops

gercunderscore4 said...

You're asking for comments in this post, I understand having written a blog of my own, but you'll probably be sick of me next time you log on.