Monday, August 24, 2009

A little exploration

Today was my second full day in Japan.

I went off to explore my neighborhood by myself this afternoon. I found a huge temple / shrine two houses down. Pretty epic, you don't see that often in Canada.
The houses are so amazing here. I mean they differ between amazigly unique modern architecture to traditional-what-you-would-expect-in-Japan houses. I also went to the convenience store down the street, and the amount of coffee drinks is incredible. I mean they have about 20 different kinds of mocha latte drinks etc etc, it's crazy!

I also did a tour of kanazawa city with my host sister, Mayuka and her boyfriend. Downtown kanazawa reminds me a bit of Toronto, just smaller. There were tons of shops I would like to go to soon.. everything looks so inviting and different! Especially clothing stores ;)

An update on that fruit we bought in the grocery store.. what I thought was an apple turned out to be a peach! But the peaches here are white and red inside, not orange! And the other awkwardly shaped fruit turned out to be a FIG! I've personally never seen a fig where it's not all shriveled and dry in a package.. It was actually very good! It was squishy and sweet and white and red coloured as well.

Tomorrow I will be going to Kenrokuen with Mayuka! That is something I am looking forward to, and will definitely take lots of pictures! It's supposed to be beautiful!

Also, Japanese television? It seems to be just talk shows or sports. They also have a lot of puzzles on the shows, like "which group does this fit in?" I've been watching a lot of Japanese track meets and this one talk show where they have to answer puzzles so that they can get food. I don't know, the concept is pretty strange.. but I enjoy the cheesy-ness of the commercials here!

I'm going to go take a shower in the shower room now.. and hopefully I can actually figure out how it works properly this time!
アシレーアンエ

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, what a gorgeous neighborhood (:

Jared Stryker said...

Haha the first time I used the shower it was realllly cold. I've figured it out now though :)

I decided to explore today and I walked all the way down to a conbini on the big street. Hopefully you know the street I'm talking about.

Sharnelle said...

ahhh youll get teh hang of it all eventually, hows the japanese going?

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm Cynthia and i wanted to know what exchange student program you joined because i realy want to go to Japan and i've read your whole blog and that just made me want to go even more, so please tell me my email address is cmr.star@yahoo.com ^-^

ashleighanne said...

jared, "the big street" ahahahaha
i'm guessing that's katamachi

gercunderscore4 said...

Katamachi isn't a street, it's an area, but people will understand which street it is. I think (I'm not absolutely sure) that actual name of the street is hyakumangoku. Either way, no one bothers with street names, they use machis.